[Mimedefang] Spamassassin not using SURBL

alan premselaar alien at 12inch.com
Thu Oct 7 19:59:40 EDT 2004

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com wrote:
> Graham Dunn wrote:
>
>>What options are required when running spamassassin from the command
>>line to get the same behaviour as you would see when run in
>>mimedefang?
>>
>>Other than using -C
>>/usr/local/etc/mimedefang/spamassassin/sa-mimedefang.cf
>

> Also should run as the defang user
> su -c "spamassassin -C /usr..." defang

I just recently installed a system with MD 2.45 and SA 3.0000 and while
doing some testing to see if the network tests were running, I
determined that the -C option to spamassassin does not work as expected.

the man pages are a little hazey about the description, but when i ran
(as defang user)

spamassassin -D -C /etc/mail/sa-mimedefang.cf

it didn't pick up *ANY* of the default rules located in
/usr/share/spamassassin.  instead it reported the working rule DIRECTORY
was /etc/mail/sa-mimedefang.cf

I haven't had the time (since) to check out bugzilla for SA and see if
this has already been reported, so i haven't filed a bug report yet.

interestingly enough, spamassassin -D (as defang user) picks up my
sa-mimedefang.cf (mostly because in the upgrade from 2.39 to 2.45 I left
sa-mimedefang.cf in /etc/mail/spamassassin and just made
/etc/mail/sa-mimedefang.cf a symlink to it) and it picks up the
/usr/share/spamassassin/*.cf files so everything is hunky-dorey.

i tinkered with it so much, i forget what I did to make it start working
the way i expected it to.  I did make sure that all my module
requirements were up to date.  I also ran spamassassin --lint to make
sure I fixed any problems in my .cf files that creeped in from the
previous version of SA.

anyways, hope this is useful information.

alan