[Mimedefang] Bayes locking

Paul Murphy pmurphy at ionixpharma.com
Wed Oct 6 12:17:06 EDT 2004

Shawn,

Several people have reported issues with this, and after some investigation on
my system and by trawling through the code, the whole area of database locking
for Bayes and AWL is a mess.  What seems to be happening is that a race
condition occurs where one slave has a lock on the database, a second slave
tries to lock the database and finds the existing lock, the second slave decides
the lock is too old to be current, but before it can delete the lock, the first
slave has either unlocked the file, or another slave has broken the lock
instead.

The solution is to use a proper database - the latest SA has support for MySQL,
which will be much more stable and on large databases will also probably be
faster.

The filter timeout in your log is more of an issue - if the filter is not
completing scanning quickly enough, then either your timeout is set too low, the
system is overloaded, or you are doing too much scanning.  Particularly for
large CAD files, are you skipping virus scanning and SPAM classification in both
directions?  I would tend to treat any message of more than about 200Kb as
definitely not SPAM, and anything over 1Mb as highly unlikely to be a virus, so
would skip these inbound.  Outbound, I do no SPAM checks at all, relying on my
users being sensible and our systems being secure.

Best Wishes,

Paul.
Paul Murphy
Head of Informatics
Ionix Pharmaceuticals Ltd
418 Science Park, Cambridge, CB4 0PA

Tel. 01223 433741
Fax. 01223 433788

DISCLAIMER:
are addressed.  If you have received this email in error please contact
the sender or the Ionix IT Helpdesk on +44 (0) 1223 433741