[Mimedefang] What is USER_IN_DEF_WHITELIST?

Lee Dilkie lee at dilkie.com
Tue Oct 5 19:53:22 EDT 2004

Sorry for an SA question on a MD list but google didn't turn up anything.

I just got a piece of spam with a low SA score. It would have been high except for a USER_IN_DEF_WHITELIST entry in the list which I didn't recognise.

grepping through my disk yielded that test in /usr/local/share/spamassassin (this is freebsd) in 20_head_tests.cf which is:

header USER_IN_DEF_WHITELIST    eval:check_from_in_default_whitelist()
describe USER_IN_DEF_WHITELIST  From: address is in the default white-list
tflags USER_IN_DEF_WHITELIST    userconf nice

Now, I found the check_from_in_default_whitelist function in EvalTests.pm (under perl/mail/spamassassin) but it's cryptic perl for my skill level and so that's a dead end.

Question. What is the "default" whitelist? Where and how is it set up? What mail header fields are matched to get it (looks like "from" if the description is correct but I couldn't tell from the function)? This email had a "from" that certainly wasn't anything I had explicity allowed and I don't use auto whitelisting.

Can anyone offer answers?

thanks!

-lee