[Mimedefang] MD consuming all memory...

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com
Mon Oct 4 11:21:26 EDT 2004

Ken Morley wrote:
> I have a SpamAssassin server loaded with MD 2.41, Sendmail 8.12.11,
> etc. all running under RedHat V7.X.  This has been installed and
> working well for over six months.
>
> Lately, users have been complaining about e-mail not getting through,
> etc., so I started looking.  I didn't have to look far.
>
> Top shows mimedefang.pl with a size 208MB and RSS 172MB.  The system
> only has 384MB of RAM, so mimedefang is consuming all memory and
> causing Linux to have to use swap.  There are multiple slaves, all
> using similar amounts of memory.  This happens even when I pull the
> network cable and so no mail is processed.

Try limiting the *number* of slaves (I believe it's something like MX_MAXIMUM in mimedefang.conf)
Take (say) 350MB of ram / (size of a typical slave) to get the right number of slaves

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com                      805.964.4554 x902
Hispanic Business Inc./HireDiversity.com         Software Engineer
perl -e"map{y/a-z/l-za-k/;print}shift" "Jjhi pcdiwtg Ptga wprztg,"