[Mimedefang] Re: OFF TOPIC - Need a product to block spyware (Mark Penkower)

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Fri Oct 1 11:21:44 EDT 2004

Ian Mitchell wrote:

> As for the knock toward Symantec developers, having been a programmer at
> one time, I would take offense to that comment. I highly doubt Symantec
> has conceeded to the whims of spyware developers. I would be more inclined
> to think they simply don't care because it's outside of their
> requirements. Their job does not consist of policing what you install on
> your computer (and frankly, that would probably be illegal).

well - in all fairness - a lot of the "evil" spyware isn't installed by choice.
I have NEVER knowingly allowed spyware on my machine. But I've got a software
firewall that occasionally pops up to let me know something HAS in fact been
installed on my machine somehow. Grrr.. I don't use office, LookOUT or any other
MS product I can avoid - but still there they are... So ya, I download Search &
Destroy and I go take care of it.

Ultimately, we have Bill to thank for all that.

Thanks Bill.... Kawa-Bunghole!

  -Ben