[Mimedefang] Re: OFF TOPIC - Need a product to block spyware (Mark Penkower)

Ian Mitchell junk at aftermagic.com
Fri Oct 1 11:05:25 EDT 2004

> From: Mark Penkower <mark at roycenet.com>
> Subject: [Mimedefang] OFF TOPIC - Need a product to block spyware

> This is off topic, but I suspect that people on this list may have an
answer.
> I need a product to block spyware, adware and other related crap from
infecting Windows 2000 PC's.

You're right, it is off topic. A thing to note about spyware, it isn't a
virus. Spyware doesn't spread by itself. You have to install it. Now
there's nothing saying you may CHOOSE to install it, some applications
like Comet Cursors, Gator, KaZaa, and many many more choose for you. Virus
scanners are not going to detect them, because they are not harmful
applications. Now wether or not they are politically correct, that's a
whole nother story.

As for defending yourself from Spyware, you need to download a tool to
identify what you have installed, I recommend Spybot Search and Destroy.
But in honesty, a 15 minute jont on Google will provide you a decent list
of different products. One thing to note, do your homework on which
application you use to detect spyware, because I have heard of at least
one detection suite that was actually spyware itself (kinda eliminating
the compitition).

Now to bring this back onto the topic, I agree with Johann, Linux doesn't
run spyware inherently. And there isn't much emphasis on the market to
develop spyware for linux clients. Not to mention, you can further protect
yourself from receiving spyware in the mail by implementing really good
protection (like MIMEDefang) to filter out executables and other not so
friendly attachments. Blantant plug for the roaring penguin intended.

> Symantec has basically given up and admitted that the authors of these
assorted malware are better programmers than the ones that they hire.
In order to attempt to not appear defeated, they don't classify these
programs
> as viruses.

As for the knock toward Symantec developers, having been a programmer at
one time, I would take offense to that comment. I highly doubt Symantec
has conceeded to the whims of spyware developers. I would be more inclined
to think they simply don't care because it's outside of their
requirements. Their job does not consist of policing what you install on
your computer (and frankly, that would probably be illegal).