[Mimedefang] timeout before data read / smfi_chgheader returned MI_FAILURE

Jurgen Botz jurgen at botz.org
Wed Nov 24 20:12:18 EST 2004

Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> Jurgen Botz wrote:
>>   Nov 22 09:33:54 kahuna mimedefang[5656]: iAMHXhdD005903:
>> smfi_addheader returned MI_FAILURE
>
> You will get that error if sendmail gave up on MIMEDefang (milter
> timeout for example), and MIMEDefang attempted to add the header.

Ok, you're right... it was a milter timeout.  The problem was that
my milter invocation in sendmail.cf had a syntax error that caused
it to ignore the timeout values, thus running with a 10s timeout
(which is that milter docs say is default).

I could swear that I copied/pasted my milter lines from some doc
or howto when I first set it up, so others may have the same
problem... the problem was:

INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`mimedefang', \
   `S=unix:/var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock, \
    F=T T=S:1m;R:1m,E:5m')
       ^
There needs to be comma there.  And probably 5m or 10m would be
better.

:j