[Mimedefang] timeout before data read / smfi_chgheader returned MI_FAILURE

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Tue Nov 23 10:19:36 EST 2004

Jurgen Botz wrote:
> Sorry, I should have mentioned that I saw that discussion, but my
> problem seems to be different.  I didn't see the same symptoms of
> the defang process being restarted quickly, for example, and there
> definitely seems to be a connection to this error:
>
>   Nov 22 09:33:54 kahuna mimedefang[5656]: iAMHXhdD005903:
> smfi_addheader returned MI_FAILURE

You will get that error if sendmail gave up on MIMEDefang (milter
timeout for example), and MIMEDefang attempted to add the header.

Also, do note that MIMEDefang process doesn't need to restart quickly.
How quickly it will restart dependes on the MTA configuration of
connecting (remote) end.  It has nothing to do with you.  If remote MTA
has retry interval set to something low (1, 5 or 10 minutes), your
MIMEDefang will restart quickly.  If remote MTA has retry interval set
to one hour or even longer, than your old MIMEDefang process will
probably finish long before the other side tries to retransmit, and you
will not see MIMEDefang processes accumulating (as was discussed in
the same: timeouts set too low so MIMEDefang can't finish processing
large emails.  Either set longer timeouts (in both MIMEDefang and
Sendmail), or lower the maximum size of email you accept, or both.

Also, make sure that you are not feeding emails larger than ~100kB to
SpamAssassin.  SpamAssassin takes forever to process them, and it is
very unlikely that spam will be that big.