[Mimedefang] MD 2.48 , SA 3.0001 CHARSET_FARAWAY_HEADERS

alan premselaar alien at 12inch.com
Tue Nov 16 00:00:57 EST 2004

I'm having an interesting problem.

I have:

MD 2.48
SA 3.0x (happens with 3.00 and 3.01)
perl 5.8.5 & 5.6.1 (happens on two seperate systems)
RedHat ES 3.0 & RedHat 7.2

when mail passes through MIMEDefang and calls SpamAssassin, even though
I've got ok_locales and ok_languages set to "en ja" (to also accept
japanese mail) mail that comes in with a subject in ISO-2022-JP encoding
is triggering the CHARSET_FARAWAY_HEADER (and sometimes the
GAPPY_SUBJECT) rules.  If I run the same mail thru spamassassin -D it
doesn't trigger these rules.

the Bayes database hasn't been fully trained yet so there's no Bayes
scoring taking place.

I have MD 2.45 and SA 3.00 running on a RH 9 machine elsewhere with the
same settings (with regards to language) but not experiencing the same
problem. (although bayes has been trained on that system)

being unable to duplicate the problem with spamassassin -D makes me
curious if there is some sort of setting or problem related to language
handling that i'm missing with the latest version of MIMEDefang.

any help/information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

alan