[Mimedefang] tmpfs on Linux

Jeff Rife mimedefang at nabs.net
Fri Nov 12 16:16:14 EST 2004

On 12 Nov 2004 at 15:46, Matthew S. Cramer wrote:

> > These are really *bad* paths if you put /var/spool/MIMEDefang on any
> > sort of ramdisk (like many of us do).
>
> Why?  I found this greatly improved performance.  I have a cron job
> that copies the bayes db files over to a physical disk once every
> day so there is no danger of losing the entire database if the ramdisk
> would suddenly go away.

Many people who read the list archives just follow instructions
blindly, and won't know to do this.

> On my machine:
>
> /dev/ram0               483886        46    458840   1% /var/spool/MIMEDefang
> /dev/ram1               483886    132675    326211  29% /var/spool/bayes

You've got a lot more RAM than I have to spare for this (500MB for each
ramdisk).  Also, you end up using double for the bayes database because
the DB code caches a lot of the database in RAM.  Using a journal for
the bayes database should result in acceptable performance under most
circumstances.

--
Jeff Rife        |  Sam:  How's life in the fast lane, Normie?
SPAM bait:       |