[Mimedefang] Tracking down file descriptors

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Nov 11 21:28:26 EST 2004

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, Kelson wrote:

> I've searched through my filter, and every single open call is inside a
> function.  Despite this, I still get the "Something in your Perl filter
> appears to have opened a file descriptor outside of any function"
> warning in my logs.

Are you running Solaris, by any chance?  I've seen this on a Solaris
machine.  Something opens a file called /var/run/name_service_door and
seems to leave it open.  It's probably something deep in the guts of
Sun's C library.  It seems to be harmless, though.

If you're *not* running Solaris, then I'm at a loss.