Timeout settings (was Re: [Mimedefang] tmpfs on Linux)

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Nov 11 17:06:13 EST 2004

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, Greg Miller wrote:

> During my investigations I noticed that many of my sendmail processes
> hang around for quite some time, presumably because the host on the
> other end is slow. I stumbled across a recommendation that the sendmail
> default timeouts be tuned as follows: Anyone else doing this?

Some of those numbers are way too short.  In particular, a confTO_DATAFINAL
of 5 minutes is definitely too low.  RFC 2821 says that one SHOULD be
at least 10 minutes, and I would be conservative and make it 30 minutes.

See http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2821.txt Section 4.5.3.2 for recommended
minimum values.