[Mimedefang] Do not use Clam AV < version 8.0 --Wrong!

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sun Nov 7 17:20:39 EST 2004

Am So, den 07.11.2004 schrieb Tory Blue um 22:31:

> >From the site:
> "Unless you are using DNSDatabaseInfo, please keep the check frequency below
> once per hour. "
>
> This here states that my initial read was in fact correct. If your not using
> DNSDatabaseInfo (if you are in fact pre 8.0), then please check for updates
> less then once per hour.

It is ClamAV version 0.80.

> Which means that those (me included) that were checking 4-8 times a day, are
> actually bad mimedefang citizens.

I don't understand that sentence.

> 1) if you run freshclam from crontab, check that you have an entry like the
> following:
>
> N * * * * /usr/local/bin/freshclam --quiet
>
> It also clearly cites that "Unless you are using DNSDatabaseInfo, please
> keep the check frequency below once per hour." Which is in line with this
> thread. If your running 8.0 and have DNSDatabaseInfo turned on, check it
> whenever you want and this thread really has no impact on you, it only
> concerns those that are not running the latest, and or have not enabled
> DNSDatabaseInfo (since it is NOT on by default).

In general right, but again version 0.80 and not 8.0.

> That clearly shows a crontab that is running N times an hour or every N
> minutes, and does not cite N times per day.

This is wrong.

N * * * * /usr/local/bin/freshclam --quiet

means that the command runs each hour +N minutes. So if N=33, then
freshclam runs 00:33, 01:33, 02:33, ..., 23:33.

> -Tory

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 23:18:48 up 18 days, 20:58, load average: 0.12, 0.55, 0.54