[Mimedefang] Do not use Clam AV < version 8.0 --Wrong!

Jeff Rife mimedefang at nabs.net
Sun Nov 7 14:25:05 EST 2004

On 6 Nov 2004 at 21:25, Tory Blue wrote:

> Ummm, that's not what it says, it says if your abusing the system they will
> blacklist you. Meaning that if you continue using the older version and not
> use the DNSquery option and are checking the system each hour or less, then
> you're an abuse and need to set your system up to check every 3-53 minutes..

You misread.

What they said was that if you are checking through crontab, you should
have it check no more than once per hour, and only on minutes 3 through
57, excluding 10,20,30,40,50.

> But I guess upgrading is probably a smart move, but again if your not
> abusing their systems, you will not be blacklisted..  I'm checking my cron
> right now and.. I was an abuser in their eyes, I would check it 4-5 times a
> day. Have modified it to check every 53 minutes... Sorry guys! Will work on
> upgrading when I get my head above water.

You are actually now worse than before.  You were checking far *less*
than once an hour, so you were fine, and would never have been
blacklisted.  Now, however, you might actually, since you are more than
once an hour.

I check 8 times a day (the freshclam.conf option "Checks" should really
have been an interval between checks, but it is instead the number of
checks per day), or every 3 hours, plus use the "DNSDatabaseInfo"
option, since that is on by default in the RPM I use.

Since many commercial anti-virus servers allow at most one check per
day, even *two* per day with ClamAV will keep you ahead of more viruses
than those systems.

--
Jeff Rife        |
SPAM bait:       |