[Mimedefang] Frustration...

Yang Xiao yxiao2004 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 14:44:58 EST 2004

Hi,
As a fellow newbie, I have struggled to get everything working for the
past two weeks as well, and I can see you are having some of the same
problem I had(still having), so here's my $0.02, hope it helps, and
for the experts out there, please correct me if I'm wrong with any of
my assumptions!
I'm using SpamAssassin, MIMEDefang, and MailScanner with ClamAV

As for writing custom SpamAssassin rules, it's basically perl RegEx.
and if you are too lazy to do it yourself. look here
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/WritingRules
and here:
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/CustomRulesets
I find the custom rulesets are quite usefull, such as bigevil and
anti-drug, they have the rules for what you have mentioned....
download them and drop in /etc/mail/spamassassin, that's all you need
to do.

IMHO, MimeDefang is useful in a much different way, such as the
fiilter_sender and filter_recipient functions enables you to do a lot
of different checks before any messages are even accepted.

As for MailScanner, I like it's ability to convert dangerous HTML and
Javascript codes and strip them, I think MIMEDefang does this as well,
but I haven't look into it yet, if that's the case, I need to find a
reason to run MailScanner if at all.

Yang