[Mimedefang] New to Mimedefang

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Thu Nov 4 09:43:29 EST 2004

Lisa Casey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got Mimedefang working now. Question: what are these directories for in
> /var/spool/MIMEDefang and do I need all these? Seems like a new directory is
> created with each e-mail. At this rate, might this eventually cause disk
> space problems? Can I delete these?
>
> drwxr-x---    2 defang   defang       4096 Nov  3 16:36
> mdefang-iA3La54E029919

[snip]

mdefang-something (actually, "something" is sendmail queue ID) are
temporary spool directories.  Check how MIMEDefang is being called.  It
might be that it is called with -d option instructing it not to delete
temporary spool files (which is usefull for debugging only, but you
usually don't want it on production system, since it will quickly fill
up file system).  Another possiblity is if you killed MIMEDefang while
it was still processing an email, directory might be left over.

During normal MIMEDefang operation, you should see those directories
created and than removed by MIMEDefang as it process email.  If you
MIMEDefang was not started with -d, and you still see those directories
left over, something is not working right.