[Mimedefang] VERY Newbie Question

Jason Gurtz jason at jasongurtz.com
Mon Nov 1 12:03:31 EST 2004

On 10/30/2004 00:27, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> Sorry, I did not vote for rejecting based on a missing reverse DNS
> entry. No RFC states that such an entry is required for an MTA. But I
> really see no reason why the forward DNS entry and the hostname of a
> constant, legitimate mail server should differ.

A fairly common case is were the dns service is outsourced to a different
Co. that the Co. who provides the IP block.  e.g. we use EasyDNS to
provide primary and secondary DNS hosting, yet our subnet comes from SBC.
  The best we can manage is to have a generic reverse entry for our IPs.

There are many other situations with smaller businesses that use e.g. DSL
connectivity in which it's virtually impossible for them to get a proper
reverse allocation, particularly businesses outside of the US/CA

~Jason