[Mimedefang] filter_relay

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Mon Nov 1 09:30:06 EST 2004

Ben wrote:
> Where that would help up is if the ISP's purposefully set up DNS for
> DHCP and dialup addresses to NOT be correct... and instantly, all those
> typically zombied addresses would become useless....

Actually, the trend is opposite.  More and more ISP's are dynamically
updating DNS so that each user has distinct DNS name (for example, cable
users more and more often have MAC address of their Ethernet card as DNS
name).  Something like dynamic DNS.  This speeds up resolving of abuse
complaints.  Give them the DNS name, and they know who it is, they don't
need to look into (usually huge) logs to find out who was using
particular IP address at particular point in time.  It also gives
advanced customers a reason to use this ISP instead of the other.

Anyhow, even if ISP's start to set up DNS incorrectly for DHCP and
dialup customers, viruses and worms would simply adapt to it.  No gain
there.  And we end up with screwed DNS, resulting in slower response of
ISP's to abuse complaints.