[Mimedefang] Passing username to SpamAssassin for user preferences

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Nov 1 08:39:48 EST 2004

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004, Caruso, Anthony J. wrote:

> My Goals:
> Each users can specify their config info via a web interface to the
> database (similar to the "Using SQL" paper in the SA Wiki).
> Multiple domains are supported User's don't need accounts on the box
> (all virt users, etc).

Well, that's why we sell CanIt-PRO! :-)

> My thoughts:
> 1.  Change prototype spam_assassin_is_spam(;$) to take 2 optional arguments
> (or remove the prototype - eeek!)

I don't plan on making any changes to the spam_assassin functions.  If you
want this level of control, simply create your own Mail::SpamAssassin
object and manipulate it directly.

> 1.  Is mimedefang.pl the best place to make these modifications?

Not as far as I'm concerned.

> 2.  If this were to become part of the standard MD, are any of the core
> developers opposed to the placement of these modifications?

Yup.  This can be done in the filter without any changes to
mimedefang.pl.  And while I'm happy to release MIMEDefang under the
GPL, these sorts of changes are uncomfortably close to eating into
CanIt and CanIt-PRO territory.  Unfortunately, we have to make a
living too. :-)