[Mimedefang] mimedefang on debian

Michael Faurot mfaurot at atww.org
Wed May 5 17:08:03 EDT 2004

In article <Pine.LNX.4.58.0405051849390.1139 at pc-2m63.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de> you wrote:

> I'm installed MIMEDefang tarball with no issues on Debian Woody (current
> stable) as well. It has been in production since approx. one year.
> However, I switched to to use my own perl environment (/usr/local/perl) ,
> because you have to re-install modules you've installed via CPAN (or
> manually) after an update of the Debian package of the perl-modules again.
> It also has the advantage, that Woody ships perl v5.6, but I'd like to use
> the Encode module from v5.8.

Using Debian Woody, but I build everything myself, including Sendmail,
MIMEDefang, SpamAssassin, ClamAV, etc.  However, I use the stock
implementation of Perl.

After the recent security update for Perl, which included some modules,
I had to make a couple of adjustments.  In particular, I'd manually
installed an updated DB_File module from CPAN.  When the security update
happened, that reverted DB_File to an older version, which then caused
SpamAssassin's Bayes system to cease functioning.  To fix, I just had
to install DB_File from CPAN again.