[Mimedefang] Filter on encoding type

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Fri May 28 14:52:55 EDT 2004

Yes, I see some reported spam with that "Content-Transfer-Encoding: plain"
and no real mail in four months of my old mail.  Looks good.  I would
test it myself but it's late the day before a three-day weekend (here in
the States) so I do not want to make changes right now.

---

This reminds me that I found it worthwhile to check the MIME-Version
header.  It should of course look like this:

But there is a spam product that feels it needs to qualify that
further.  Look for /MIME-Version:.*\(produced by/  to find such
as these:

It's the same spam product that inserts patternbusters with 1-pixel
characters, e.g.

lo
      de<FONT style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 1px">+</font>a<FONT style=3D"FONT-SIZE: =
1px">85</font>r home o<FONT style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 1px">)</font>wn<FONT style=
=3D"FONT-SIZE: 1px">!</font>er,</p>

Painfully, that's "Hello, dear howeowner"!

Joseph Brennan
Academic Technologies Group, Academic Information Systems (AcIS)
Columbia University in the City of New York