[Mimedefang] Filter on encoding type

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Fri May 28 14:21:37 EDT 2004

> Do people see any value in implementing a filter based on invalid
> encoding types? I  have observed that there seem to be several bulk
> mailers that use invalid types; one  going around right now marks
> everything with "Content-Transfer-Encoding: plain".  I'm planning to
> filter this specific type out, but another option might be to reject
> everything that doesn't match one of the five (six?) valid types. Would
> such a filter  reject too much valid mail?

Write a stanza that just logs this and does nothing else, and you can
probably find out the answer.  I've discarded some harebrained ideas
in under an hour by doing that!

This does sound like it has possibilities.

Joseph Brennan
Academic Technologies Group, Academic Information Systems (AcIS)
Columbia University in the City of New York