[Mimedefang] Mail Bypassing Mimedefang

Damrose, Mark mdamrose at elgin.edu
Thu May 27 10:42:54 EDT 2004

You've gotten some pretty good advice so far, but one
thing I think should be asked is why does your company
insist on using external pop/imap services?

Are they company mailboxes?  My solution to that would
be to figure out why they don't trust your server and
fix that.  Barring that, the fetchmail suggestion is
probably the only one that could work.

Is your company allowing your users to check their
personal e-mail on company time?  While that may be
intended to be a nice benefit, it doesn't seem to be
working out that way.  fetchmail is probably not a good
solution here, as you would need the usernames and
passwords for everyone's personal e-mail accounts.
In this case, I would insist that they use a different
e-mail client so it's clear what is company e-mail, that
you are responsible to clean.  The users that wish to
check their personal e-mail should be made to understand
that they are responsible to do their own anti-spam
measures.

Remember that you can't solve what is essentially a
people problem with technology.