[Mimedefang] Mail Bypassing Mimedefang

Peter A. Cole peteracole at bigpond.com
Thu May 27 03:40:47 EDT 2004

On Thu, 27 May 2004 15:50:36 +1000
Bill Maidment <bill.maidment at elgas.com.au> wrote:

> My approach is to put a protective shell around whatever the b*st**ds
> try to do. Remember the enemy is within as well as outside!!!
> I just thought it would be real cool to somehow intercept and sanitise
> whatever comes through SOCKS.
>
> Cheers
> Bill

Hey, another Aussie on the list, cool!

Anyway, is there a way you could possibly utilise fetchmail to deliver mail to your mail server on behalf of the users, and then allow those users to retrieve their mail from the mail server via POP3/IMAP.

This is basically how I do it at home here, but obviously on a much smaller scale. I also don't have mail delivered directly via SMTP.

The obvious drawback is administration; maintaining all those POP3/IMAP connections and keeping up with password changes etc.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents on the matter...

Pete