[Mimedefang] Mail Bypassing Mimedefang

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Thu May 27 00:01:21 EDT 2004

On Thu, 27 May 2004, Bill Maidment wrote:

>Patrick Morris wrote:
>

>> SOCKS with MIMEDefang?  Nope, not gonna work.
>>
>> I assume you're talking about accessing external POP and/or IMAP
>> servers?  I assume so because I can't think of *any* good reason to
>> not force outgoing mail through your own SMTP servers -- it's just too
>> easy, and should have next to no impact on your users other than a
>> configuration change.
>>
>> Depending on what you want to do, there are several client-side
>> products that will do spam and/or virus checking, if you're not
>> looking to get too fancy.  Off the top of my head, though, I can't
>> think of any anywhere near as thorough and flexible as what you'd get
>> with MIMEDefang.
>
>Rather what I expected, but hoping you weren't going to say! Yeah, I was
>only talking about incoming POP/IMAP. We do have client side checking in
>place, but it's a real pain making sure the users keep them up-to-date,
>and as you say they are not a patch on mimedefang.

My advice is to  log your hours, time, and the emails and then let the
company lawyers that you are worried that the company is setting itself
up for a lawsuit for allowing harrassing and abusive email in. Send them
some of the emails, the amount of time it is costing, and how effective
uses are being not allowed to be implemented. At that point it is up to
them to figure out if the company has deep enough pockets to handle the
suits.

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Lab  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645
-- You should consider any operational computer to be a security problem --