[Mimedefang] MessageID anti-impersonation function for sub fi lter()

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Wed May 26 11:45:58 EDT 2004

Some data.

I did "grep msgid=.*@columbia\.edu.*,.proto= syslog" on one of our
incoming mail hosts.  The file had 46,000 msgid= strings.

The Bagle virus does this.  We are catching these already with a test
on the HELO string-- it says "helo columbia.edu" when sending, and we
don't allow that unless we have smtp auth (some clients do it).

There a very consistent pattern to Bagle mail.  Insert your own
domain name there:

msgid=<cliyxkcmkjecpvkfguj at columbia.edu>
msgid=<aasbbsoirnszcpnwodg at columbia.edu>
msgid=<hhvvugtkjlsizudwcdc at columbia.edu>
msgid=<yiezeeekkkjebirvvrf at columbia.edu>
msgid=<tswikfzjuubzhuncidx at columbia.edu>

So... exclude Bagle and what else is there...

msgid=<CLEIKBNIBILDPGGNFBBKMEEGCHAA.xx427 at columbia.edu>

This comes from Yahoo Groups.  The sender was xx427 at columbia.edu
(actually not xx but two other letters!).  This looks legit.  I
see some others.  This seems to be how Yahoo Groups constructs
message ids.

msgid=<d870dd9c9d488a.9c954.qmail at columbia.edu>
msgid=<1f08d480fddf42.4f7a9.qmail at columbia.edu>

Mydoom virus.

msgid=<05/26/2004|xxx36 at columbia.edu|14627>

Good grief.  The recipient is xxx36 at columbia.edu.  Probably legit.
Sending host in morningstar.com.

msgid=<AD28736B-AF25-11D8-B98E-000393758614 at columbia.edu>

>From a Verizon mail server.  Sender address is xx at columbia.edu and it
appears to be one of our users sending mail from an ISP.  Some clients
construct the Message-ID using the default domain name.  This is an
important example but I have to admit it is the only one I can find
in this syslog file, so it appears to be unusual.

Joseph Brennan
Academic Technologies Group, Academic Information Systems (AcIS)
Columbia University in the City of New York