[Mimedefang] Re: R/W: lock failed: File exists

Patrick Morris trick at adonis.net
Wed May 26 10:11:18 EDT 2004

Andrzej Marecki wrote:

>>It is trying to lock the bayes journal, and other mimedefang threads can't
>>read to it while it learns from the journal.
>>This will solve your problem.
>>

>1. There is something weird with my installation but, OK, luckily
>   enough there's a workaround.
>2. Everyone has the same problem so for each and every MD/SA installation
>   a workaround like that is needed.
>
>And finally, is 2. is true then maybe something more than a workaround
>should be invented?

1. Not true.  This is expected SpamAssassin behavior under heavy load
(or the occasional time when multiple sessions try to write to Bayes at
once).  The fix suggested to you isn't a "workaround" per se, it's the
correct way to free up the Bayes databases for writing if you experience
conflicts running it the other way.

2. Somewhat true.  The message in the logs is very common, in my
experience, but not much of a problem unless you really hate the
occasional error message in your logs.

However, you seem to think that using the journal for Bayes is some sort
of "workaround," and that something better is needed.  Frankly, I don't
understand why. Writing to the journal works -- situations like what you
are experiencing are exactly why the journal exists.