[Mimedefang] Milter to replace procmail ?

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Mon May 24 11:11:42 EDT 2004

> im trying to rip attachments, send mal reply to sender that the
> atachments has been ripped and he can send mail to another address
> (payed service) if he wants to have the attachment submitted.
> As well if the mail recipient doesnt conform to certain rules like
> AA-11111 or AV-15267 it shall be rejected with message aswell....

Sounds pretty simple. Here's the overview to your solution:

A) create a filter_recipient and change MD's startup process to use that
routine.  In that routine, check the recipients to see if they meet your
recipient rule (with some caveats perhaps for mailer_daemon stuff)

B) Modify the bad_exts routine to return EVERYTHING as a bad attachment.
(perhaps just a return 1)

C) Add something to send an email to the original sender (possibly) or leave
it to the recipient to contact the sender for any attachments.  I'd
recommend against this unless you are already performing an anti-virus check
and not responding to viruses.

> Yes, I just wonder if theres somthing like this already cause my perl
> skills really suck..

You really need to understand the basics of perl and hopefully the solution
you implement because MD is SO customizable that you need to tweak things a
lot.  MD is the best solution for you to use but you either need to commit
to learning it and perl or you need to hire a consultant.

KAM