[Mimedefang] Accuracy of infected IP in mdlog

Jerome Tytgat jerome.tytgat at asterion.fr
Mon May 17 10:07:20 EDT 2004

>   If all networks had (a) administrators and (b) these admins
> s cared about spam/viruses, they would have taken the several easy steps
> required to ensure such unwanted traffic did not originate from (or
> relay through) their networks. Ditto for your friends.

Large ISP prefere to cure than to preserve...

When you provide network access to more than 10000 computers, it's less
time consuming to alert someone that he is infected than to educate every
people on the good way to use Internet and to be preserved from infections
and attacks.

>   Unless your friends/associates are sending from fixed IPs, identifying
> an infected email sent from them is next to impossible.

In fact "If" Headers could be trusted, having IP + Date + Msg Id is sufficient
to identify a unique gateway. I say gateway as there might be several users
behind a device which do natting.

Anyway

I've got the point, I'll try to see if I get good succes in my fight against
spam and virus :) (I'm idealist ;-))

Bye and thanks for all the point of views.

Jerome