[Mimedefang] Accuracy of infected IP in mdlog

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Mon May 17 09:47:22 EDT 2004

> no, but I wonder what is the best :
> - telling the last relay is the spammer/infected computer
>     which is wrong at 95% when there's several relays
> - let the mailbox administrator choosing what to trust ?

We identify and reject 300,000 spam and virus messages a day (and
we do not successfully identify all the spam).  Give it a 550 and
move on.  We cannot waste human or computer time figuring out who
to notify.  We don't have the resources to consider it.  If we did,
I don't think it would make any difference.

Joseph Brennan
Academic Technologies Group, Academic Information Systems (AcIS)
Columbia University in the City of New York