[Mimedefang] Accuracy of infected IP in mdlog

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon May 17 07:29:18 EDT 2004

On Mon, 17 May 2004, Jerome Tytgat wrote:

> Maybe I'm wrong but I thought mimedefang was more than just milter
> who pass mails to clamav/spamassassin.

It is. :-)

> I thought we can do some correlation about headers, validating from fields,
> validating Helo, and other things.

We can, if we care to code it in Perl.

*I* did not code Received header parsing in MIMEDefang for two reasons:

1) I don't see the point, and
2) Header lines can be faked.

I posted code to parse Received: lines from trusted hosts; that's about
as far as I would take header parsing.  Anything more is dangerous and
untrustworthy.