[Mimedefang] multi AV scanners

Stewart James stewart.james at vu.edu.au
Tue May 11 20:55:19 EDT 2004

> >From a different perspective it would seem perhaps approriate to have a
> Variable $VirusScannerName set by the various routines that invoke virus
> scanners e.g. This would mean the Name of the scanner would be available
> to mimedefang-filter as VirusScannerMessage is.
>
> It does not look too have to implement (one line of code per AV
> subroutine + appropriate definition of the virus). But I really dislike
> running local hacks in upstream code (only from a management
> perspective), what would the possibility of this getting put into
> mimedefang proper? Or is there an even better way to handle this?

Oh well I have a spare 15 minutes today and did the changes I think are
required to add this variable - however I am probably wrong and have not
tested this yet.

In short this should make $VirusScanner available based on the LAST
scanner used - which if you are logging or rejecting a message is the
one that is going to count.

Names might need to be altered (they may even be inconsistant between
entity and message checks), but this to me seems to be the best approach
to exposing the Scanner used that detected a virus.

If anyone who is interesting in this can have a glance at the patch for
and let me know if they see a fault I would be grateful. I would be
happy to run this locally, but I would only really want to do that if it
had a chance of entering MD proper at some point, so if someone from
roaring penguin could let me know, then I will move forward and put it
on my production boxes and alter the filters.

Finally this was done on mimedefang.pl that comes with Debian Unstable:
2.42-1