[Mimedefang] wallon email link viruses

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Tue May 11 13:56:26 EDT 2004

mimedefang-bounces at lists.roaringpenguin.com wrote on 05/11/2004 01:44:11
PM:

> There's a virus that uses a technique I've never heard of a virus using
> before.  It sends a link to itself in an HTML email.  Users click on the
> link and then an IE vulnerability allows the virus to install itself.
>
> http://secunia.com/virus_information/9323/
>
> Is there a way to use MIMEDefang against this kind of distribution
> mechanism?

Off the top of my head, this is not a new technique to spread viruses.  I
found Bizex at
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.bizex.worm.html,
but this one passes through ICQ.  I do recall an email based one though. I
beleive ClamAV detects it, again, relying on memory that is right now sort
of tied up in another crisis.