[Mimedefang] Heads up: Change in behvior for 2.43

Cormack, Ken kcormack at acs.roadway.com
Fri May 7 16:50:48 EDT 2004

> Does this mean that for those of us who reject on invalid EHLO/HELO this
rejection
> will now have to take place after the DATA phase, instead of after MAIL?
In the
> past four days, my relay has rejected 17,463 delivery attempts due to
EHLO/HELO
> parameters that contain my domain, or are bare IP addresses.  Do you think
that the
> impact of having to accept DATA from these relays before being able to
reject will
> be noticeable?  Or is there another approach that I'm missing?

Michael,  about your helo check...

Where I had the following in filter_relay():

#sub filter_relay {
#
#   my ($hostip, $hostname, $helo) = @_;

I now use this, in filter_sender():

sub filter_sender {

   my ($sender, $ip, $name, $helo) = @_;

filter_sender takes four arguements, where filter_relay took three.  The
names change slightly, but if you start the functions as I did, allowing for
four arguements, and then change the names of the corresponding variables in
your helo check, that should be all you need (in addition to ensuring you
start mimedefang with the -s switch, to activate the filter_sender
function.)

KEN CORMACK, RHCE
Sr. UNIX Systems Analyst,
    Open Systems Group
Sr. Software Analyst,
    TSG Midrange Systems Group
AFFILIATED COMPUTER SERVICES, INC.

"If that that is 'is' is that that is not 'not is', is that that is 'not is'
that that is not 'is'?  It is!" - Ken Cormack

"Sendmail administration is not black magic.  There are legitimate technical
reasons why it requires the sacrificing of a live chicken." - Unknown