[Mimedefang] Managing Quarantined Messages

Tim Pushor timp at crossthread.com
Mon May 3 11:46:51 EDT 2004

David F. Skoll wrote:

>>Yeah thats fine, but two things initially popped up, one the not
>>filtering 127.0.0.1 - I don't know if this would affect anything else -
>>how about if I use stream_by_recipient or domain - wouldn't these
>>messages be coming through with localhost being the relay? I would still
>>want to filter these..
>>

>See PRESERVING RELAY INFORMATION in the mimedefang-filter man page to
>get around that.

David,

Sorry for taking to long to reply.

So if I understand you correctly, you are suggesting:

Compile mimedefang with --with-ip-header, and if I determine that I need
to stream_by_* ensure that I add_ip_validation_header(). Then later, if
RelayAddr really *is* 127.0.0.1 that means that this is one of my
remailed quarantined messages (or any other message submitted to
localhost unforunately), and that it shoudn't be rescanned.

One question though (assuming that I am correct above): Am I able to do
any modifications to the message before quarantining? For example, say I
strip EXE files from all messages but quarantine if there are encrypted
zips. Can I strip the EXE before quarantining so if I decide to remail
it to the end user it won't include the EXE?

Thanks!
Tim