OT: Gentoo, Red Hat, etc. (was Re: [Mimedefang] Latest MIME-Tools)

Lucas Albers admin at cs.montana.edu
Mon Mar 22 20:41:10 EST 2004

Kelson Vibber said:
> At 01:28 PM 3/22/2004, Justin wrote:
>>RPM is really quite lame.  If you ever want to really annoy RPM uninstall
>>the very dated version of Perl and all it's various modules that come
>> with
>>RH and compile and install the latest greatest from source.  RPM will
>>never forgive you that one. :)
>
> Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried this on Debian?  How well does
> apt-get/dpkg handle that one?
Well assuming i just do an upgrade from perl 5.6.1 to perl 5.8.3 using
apt-get, it worked perfectly.
The problem is I've only used apt-get on debian systems.
I never install anything on a compile, as I never install compiler tools
on those server's.
My guess is it will puke.
I've use cpan2rpm to create deb and rpm files from CPAN, that works well.
--
Luke Computer Science System Administrator
Security Administrator,College of Engineering