[Mimedefang] Getting started with MIMEDefang

Jason Williams jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com
Wed Mar 17 17:26:08 EST 2004

>This is the same here again, however 2.41 is released now, it's easy to
>install over your current setup.
>(since you installed the ports version of MD 2.39, you can install the
>source version of 2.41 and everything will work fine)
>You didn't mention your perl version?  I installed 5.6.1 (hearing of many of
>my favorite programs requiring this or newer).

Right now, just using the default version of Perl that comes with
FreeBSD...Perl 5 I believe.

>Being only 2 weeks into this project, I seem to understand clamd is a daemon
>version of clamav.
>With 2.4x of MIMEDefang, it uses multiple virus scanners if they are
>installed, but does this apply to
>clamav & clamd?  Will it use one if the other fails?  Hopefully someone else
>can clear this bit up for both of us.

Right. Exactly what I was looking for. I wasn't sure exactly how MIMEDefang
calls the AV scanner. For instance, does MIMEDefang call it on its own, or
do you need to have CLAMD running already and then MIMEDefang uses the
already running DAEMON to do its bidding...I'm unclear on that part.
Also, in regards to the mimedefang-filter file, is it necessary to edit the
sections where the virus scanners are located? For example, do I need to
rearrange the order of the scanners listed in order for MIMEDefang to use
them correctly.

The configuring of the AV scanner has me some what confused, but once I
understand the process, it should be pretty smooth sailing.

Once im comfortable with that, i'll move on to SpamAssassin.

I appreciate the help.

Jason