[Mimedefang] survey: dropping password protected file

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Thu Mar 4 08:43:48 EST 2004

>> To stop most variants of netsky, refuse mail with pif files.  We
>> did that many months ago.  No complaints at all.  Do it.
 >
> You mean pif files or pif files in zip files?

I mean pif files per se.  Not zipped.

> Instead of putting in zip archive code, why not just interpret the virus
> scanner message, to return a virus rejection message if it detects a
> password protected zip file.

Why not-- because we don't run a virus scanner.  We don't accept
executable files.  I was thinking of setting up virus scanning just
for zip files, but unless we can open password-protected zip files,
forget it.

Joseph Brennan
Academic Technologies Group, Academic Information Systems (AcIS)
Columbia University in the City of New York