[Mimedefang] foreign characters in message body causing bizarre behavior

Thomas B. Butler butlert at nevada.edu
Fri Mar 12 10:03:29 EST 2004

Maybe someone on the list has some ideas because there is nothing in the
FAQs or the archives, as far as I can tell...

We're testing MIMEDefang 2.40 with SpamAssassin 2.63 on Perl 5.8.1 on
Solaris 8.  All of the other Perl dependencies are up to date, as far as I
know, including the special patched version of MIME::tools that the MD
folks recommend.  We're intending to put this into production next month,
if all testing goes well.  Problem is, we're running into a bit of a
show-stopper here:

Sometimes (but not always) when we receive SPAM in foreign character sets
(maybe just Russian and Chinese?), the message contents get mixed in with
other lines from other messages.  In other words, I'll receive a Chinese
spam that contains lines from other messages that were destined to
different email addresses than my own.  As you can imagine, this would be
a serious problem if it happened on our production mailserver.

We can't just block foreign character sets because we have lots of foreign
students.

Sorry I don't have any log output or any more detailed info.  I'll try to
dig something up the next time it happens.  Has anyone seen this, ever?

Thanks!
--
--Tom
Thomas Butler -- (butlert at nevada.edu) -- Systems Software Analyst