[Mimedefang] Re: email wire tap

Michael Sofka sofkam at rpi.edu
Tue Mar 23 09:10:32 EST 2004

On Monday 22 March 2004 19:25, Michael Mondy wrote:

> Presumably, the results of the wiretap will need to be something that is
> easily searchable by someone in a legal department or security department.
> They'll probably want to use off-the-shelf tools that were designed for
> scanning a live Exchange or Notes server.  It seems to me that you need

Check into Lagato EmailXtender (http://www.legato.com).  This is designed
for "Journaling" to preserve email for archiving, SEC regulations, etc.
I've been looking into this for use with Exchange, but their brochure
says ``UNIX sendmail." (The sales-person says a Milter, but I've not
found this online.)

If the files are being archived for possible use in investigations,
lawsuits, etc. then making a copy is not enough.  You have to be sure
the copy meets some minimal evidence requirements.  Legato is designed
to meet that purpose.  (All your talk about rewriting headers, etc.
would be we a defense lawyers dream if it turned up in discovery.)

Ethics is something to work out for yourself. But, legality is
definitely a GAL situation.  Even if your legal department is willing
to put it in writing, get your own Lawyer who works for you!  Unless,
it is clear you are complying with financial regulations, a wire-tap
subpoena, or some other clear case.

And, for Goddess sake, stop using the term "wire tap!"  Wiretaps are
illegal unless authorized by a court, or done with the permissions of
the parties being recorded in accordance with applicable state and federal
laws.

Mike

Michael D. Sofka              sofkam at rpi.edu
C&CT Sr. Systems Programmer    Email, TeX, epistemology.
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY.  http://www.rpi.edu/~sofkam/