[Mimedefang] RE: mimedefang shutdown signal handling

Matt Smith Matt at Coolchilli.com
Tue Mar 30 22:04:05 EST 2004

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 12:18:59 -0500, Paul Whittney <pwhittney \at\
net.bacconsulting.com> mentioned:

>Using the init script with mimedefang (versions 2.39, 2.40, and 2.41) I
>am able to start and stop the mimedefang processes (mainly because I'm
>testing all sorts of perl scripts away from the main system), however,
>mimedefang doesn't shutdown following the kill signal, but mimedefang
>does not.

Hi Paul,

Apologies for the delay in the reply, just read your problem then, and
apologies again if it has been solved since.

I had a similar problem with 2.41 on a Mandrake 9 system.  Scratched my head
for hours and read and reread every script i could think of, checked
permissions, everything.
It turned out that the init script I was using was the fault.  I copied the
Redhat init script, started MD through that, stopped it, and lo and behold
all stopped.
To the best of my debugging and perl abilities (not very much, a monkey with
a perl book could do better) I noticed the line:

daemon $PROGDIR/$prog -P /var/spool/MIMEDefang/$prog.pid
^    ^
|     |   this was the difference between the two, and I believe that this
fixed my problems.

Hope it may shed some light on your issue.

Regards,
Matt