[Mimedefang] syslog fix for embedded multiplexor.

Lucas Albers admin at cs.montana.edu
Tue Mar 30 13:47:24 EST 2004

Was this openlog/syslog multiplexor fix included in mimedefang 2.41?

> I think that I've found and fixed a problem in MIMEDefang's embedded
Perl mode.

> The problem:  The MIMEDefang multiplexor uses the openlog and syslog
functions to write to the syslog.  These functions use a file descriptor
kept in a static variable somewhere to do the actual writing.  However,
when the multiplexor forks off a child, the child closes all open FDs.
If the Perl filter then opens a file, it may happen to get the same FD
that the openlog/syslog functions expect to use.  Bad things ensue.  (On
my system, the FD conflict was causing slave processes to hang.)

> Solution:  Add a closelog() call to mimedefang-multiplexor.c's
> activateSlave function, just before "Close unneeded file descriptors" loop.
>
> Josh Kelley
Luke Computer Science System Administrator
Security Administrator,College of Engineering
Montana State University-Bozeman,Montana