[Mimedefang] best virus scanner

Andrew Duggan Andrew.Duggan at its.mq.edu.au
Thu Mar 25 18:49:20 EST 2004

I am using Sophie with uses the Sophos Savi lib. This combination does
find viruses with compressed files and
you can specify how deep to uncompress (ie zip within zip) in the
config.

I think in the default config it did not uncompress files before
scanning, so you need to review the config files carefully.

Note: Sophos savi is a commercial product.

Andrew Duggan

>>> rob_macgregor at hotmail.com 26/03/2004 7:35:37 am >>>

One supported by your OS is a good start.  The daemonised scanners
(sophie, trophie, clamd) have better performance than non-daemonised
ones, though FileScan is the exception I believe.

Otherwise, search the group archive, it's been discussed before.

> Can you scan within compressed files (.zip. tar.gz)?

AFAIK the latest version included some support for this, but mostly
the
answer is no.

>  Does the version
> of virus software matter here?

Yes.

PLEASE - keep list traffic on the list.  Email sent directly to me may
be ignored utterly.

--
Rob | What part of "no" was it you didn't understand?