[Mimedefang] headers not showing up on quarantine messages

Nels Lindquist nlindq at maei.ca
Thu Mar 25 14:48:12 EST 2004

On 24 Mar 2004 at 13:08, Lucas Albers wrote:

> I recently started reporting some quarantined email to spamcop.net.

Uh-oh.

> In the process I determined that a few messages did not contain the
> full headers. Any idea how to determine how the headers could be
> missing? This has only happened on very few messages.

This is a side-effect of where milter processing takes place during
the overall message flow.  Sendmail doesn't actually add the last
the message is to be relayed.  Since quarantining takes place before
that, the headers aren't added.  This actually occurs for *every*
message you quarantine, but you're only noticing it for direct-to-mx
spam which didn't go through another relay before arriving at yours,
and hence has no Received headers at all.  You've been reporting
incorrect information to SpamCop, I'm afraid.

There is a MD function, synthesize_received_header(), which generates
the required headers, but is only called just prior to spamassassin
checking so that various header related tests can work.  I've made a
small patch to my own mimedefang installation in order to to call
this function during the quarantine process and write out the
appropriate headers to an additional file (HEADERS.1).  I then use a
perl script to generate "good" mail in a subdirectory which I use for
Bayes training, reporting to razor, etc.  (The script also generates
Message-IDs if they're absent, which is pretty common with direct-to-
mx spam engines).

If that sounds useful I can send you my patch and my script.  Or even
a modified SRPM, if you like. :-)

Nels Lindquist <*>
----
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.

Whatever is said in Latin, sounds profound.