[Mimedefang] Command rejected

Kelson Vibber kelson at speed.net
Thu Mar 25 14:40:37 EST 2004

At 08:45 AM 3/25/2004, Robert Covell wrote:
>Mar 25 10:16:45 server6 mimedefang[12794]: i2PGDuDQ012793: Bouncing because
>filter instructed us to

Your filter has called action_bounce.  This is normal.

>Mar 25 10:16:45 server6 mimedefang[12794]: i2PGDuDQ012793: set_reply
>returned MI_FAILURE

Not sure, but I think it means something is preventing MD from setting the
response message for the SMTP rejection.

>Mar 25 10:16:45 server6 sm-mta[12793]: i2PGDuDQ012793: Milter: data,
>reject=554 5.7.1 Command rejected

Milter has told sendmail to reject the message with the code "554 5.7.1
Command rejected".  Except for the code, this is normal.  I'd guess that
milter fell back to a default response when MD failed to set a specific one.

>Mar 25 10:16:45 server6 sm-mta[12793]: i2PGDuDQ012793:
>to=<user1 at domain1.com>, delay=00:00:06, pri=35693, stat=Command rejected

Sendmail is doing what your filter told it to and rejecting the
message.  This is also normal.

The key problem is in the second line, with the MI_FAILURE.

So you've got two issues:

(1) Why is some mail being rejected?  It's supposed to be!  Look for
action_bounce in your filter to figure out how it's deciding this and
change it if necessary.

(2) Why is it using a generic message instead of something
informative?  That's harder to tell.  Make sure action_bounce is being
called with valid parameters.  Something as simple as action_bounce("I
don't like this mail") is fine - see the man page for mimedefang_filter for
more options.  If that looks correct, maybe there's a problem with your
milter installation?  Did you upgrade sendmail without rebuilding
mimedefang?  Did you install MD from a binary RPM built against a different
version of sendmail?  At this point I'm just guessing.

Kelson Vibber