[Mimedefang] SA suddenly not catching spam

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Wed Mar 24 13:41:04 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-24 at 11:00, Justin wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Gwendolynn ferch Elydyr wrote:
>
> > Further poking about yesterday showed that SA alone seems to be handing
> > out fairly reasonable scores, but SA in combination with MD is seeing
> > hideously low scoring.  It doesn't look to me as though I've turned off
> > any SA rules via MD - bayes, dns and rbl checks are all enabled - but
> > even after a restart, I'm not having much luck here.
>
> Are the differences in scores the same as the difference in scores
> pre-defined in SA for use when the calling instance meets a certain
> requirement or requirements?  Ie network test are enabled, bayes is
> enabled, or bayes and network tests are enabled.  The heuristic tests pick
> different scores for 4 different scenarios.  If Bayes isn't enabled when
> calling from MD but it is when called with spamc then there will be a
> definite difference in scores.
>
> http://www.spamassassin.org/tests.html

Duh. Ok that seems to be the case, and a definate reason not to have
site wide Bayesian filtering turned on. [And another reason for CanIT]
Turning off the site-wide Bayesian lines brought the scores in line with
the other side.

The second problem I was having is that 2 upstream sites are using
mimedefang+spamassassin in their systems and for some reason I was
seeing their score printed versus my own. When I commented out the line

                # action_delete_header("X-Spam-Score");

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Lab  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645