[Mimedefang] SA suddenly not catching spam

Gwendolynn ferch Elydyr gwen at reptiles.org
Wed Mar 24 10:18:17 EST 2004

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Stephen Smoogen wrote:
> Hmmm puremessage sticks it in /opt normally but I think can be put
> elsewhere. What OS are you running? If you are running an RPM style
> distro and want to check the integrity of the RPMS to see if something
> got written over by puremessage (rpm -V mimedefang)

I'm running RedHat 9 - but I built both my MD and SA installs, so I can't
use RPM to check them, unfortunately.

> The other thing that can happen is if /opt is in the PATH somewhere then
> puremessage perl might get called before the other perl.

Running SA in debug mode doesn't show any touches into /opt - but I'm
still seeing surprisingly low scores [I've modified my default down
to 4 - but most spam is hovering between 1 and 3, which seems all wet]

Further poking about yesterday showed that SA alone seems to be handing
out fairly reasonable scores, but SA in combination with MD is seeing
hideously low scoring.  It doesn't look to me as though I've turned off
any SA rules via MD - bayes, dns and rbl checks are all enabled - but
even after a restart, I'm not having much luck here.

Is anybody running with a spam threshold hovering around 1 or 2 ?

I'm quite puzzled here.

cheers!
avoid getting wet.  This is the defining metaphor of my life right now."