[Mimedefang] Sendmail Defers when CLAMD scans take too long

Roland Pope rpope at jadeworld.com
Mon Mar 22 22:22:34 EST 2004

Hi,

I am running MD 2.41 on RedHat 9 with sendmail 8.12.8 (Plus security
patches) and ClamAV 0.68.
This is running on a Pentium III 1.2GHZ with 1Gb of ram. I am running
/var/spool/MIMEDefang on a ramdisk.
When a user sends an email with a 13 Mb (encoded), word document
attachement, CLAMD starts using 100% of the processor for a time, until
eventually (After a minute or so), Mimedefang returns a "Milter
(mimedefang): timeout before data read" error. I eventually got the email to
go through by changing the timeout settings on the Milter config line in
sendmail.mc from:
INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`mimedefang',
`S=unix:/var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock, F=T, T=S:1m;R:1m;E:10m')
INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`mimedefang',
`S=unix:/var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock, F=T, T=S:3m;R:3m;E:10m')

Should these values be even higher and should the milter be timeing out like
this while waiting for a virus scan to finish?
Also, would you expect CLAMD to use so much processor for such a long time
on a file that isnt really that big?

Thanks
Roland