[Mimedefang] Discarding fake MXs

Justin listuser at numbnuts.net
Mon Mar 22 22:21:55 EST 2004

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Ben Kamen wrote:

> Well, we do that for a reason... it sends spammers to the next
> (unreachable) MX point after failing to send spam to the primary. I used
> to use 127.0.0.1 - but people like SBC block incoming mail if the
> remote's have any MX's set like that (poo!)...

Hmm...  I have a thought.  Buy a $5.00 misc domain.  Use that domain for
spamtraps and stuff bogus-user at spamtrap.tld into spammers' unsub forms.
Point the MX records for that domain to 164.62.7.63-65 and 164.62.7.25.
The only question that remains is will they accept all mail destined for
any user at any domain? :)  I done all of that with the exception of the
MX trickery on a couple other domains.  I used them for auto-reporting
though, nothing more.  I wonder if it would work.

Justin