[Mimedefang] Latest MIME-Tools

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Mar 22 17:43:35 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 13:54, Justin wrote:
> I almost never use any outward facing daemons that aren't compiled from
> source.  I compile just about everything from source if given the
> opportunity.  RH is terrible about keeping up with the latest greatest
> unless it involves a critical security fix.

I think you've missed the point of RH's versioning. RPM updates for
released versions intentionally consist only of back-ported bug and
security fixes so as to minimize the chances of breaking anything
else you have installed and running.  That has to have been a huge
effort and I can see why they changed their release model.  In
any case, if you want new features you should always upgrade to
the latest version, which these days is fedora, or pull the
untested versions from rawhide.

> RH is also terrible about
> using the compile-time options that I want.  When was the last time you
> used an RPM to install Apache or MIMEDefang? :)

RH 7.3 had Apache right, and I think the current (with updates)
Fedora version is again.

> Why does RPM have to be so darned obtuse?

It is a low-level tool. You should look at one of the
repositories that allows apt-get or yum like www.freshrpms.net
if you stick to RH9.  Yum is included with fedora, or you
can use up2date.  All of these wrappers compute the dependencies
and install everything you need for an update at once.  If
you compile parts yourself without going through rpm you break
the ability to follow the dependencies/obsoletes noted.

But, it would be great if someone packaged MimeDefang and
Clamav for an rpm install...

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com